CATCON was contracted to construct 31 Wind Turbine Generator (WTG) foundations, access roads and adjoining crane hardstands. Ancillary features associated with such were concrete drainage pipes/headwalls, cattle grids, access gates and final rehabilitation (seeding). Works also included the installation of High Voltage (HV) and Optic Fibre Reticulation cabling, in line joints, terminations within WTG’s and testing of each collector group between the substation and terminal tower.
The Gunning Wind Farm site provided challenges due to the cold and windy conditions and isolated areas of extremely hard rock. The amount of rainfall experienced on the project was up to 2-4 times the historical monthly average.
Specialist equipment required for the project included; Rotary Percussion Drill Rig, 45t Excavator & Rock Breaker, Cat Challenger and Cable Reeler, Sand Cart, Jinker and Vermeer Rock Saw.
Facts & Figures:
- 31 turbines foundations constructed
- 1000t of steel reinforcement supplied and fixed
- 8500m3 of concrete supplied, placed and cured
- 17km of trenching for HV, Optic Fibre and Earth cable reticulation installed
- 15km of access road network and associated drainage